Friday 4 May 2012

Cherry rocks!

A taster of the batch of chairs I'm currently working on for the Fisherton Mill Gallery in Salisbury's Out of the Wood exhibition coming up in June.



This little fellow is my first attempt at a rocking chair. It's made entirely out of wild cherry, also a first for me. Cherry is both a joy and a frustration to use: a joy because it's a pleasure to work with and smells nice, and looks gorgeous after a coat or two of oil, when that lovely mellow colour leaps out at you; a frustration because it can also be a nightmare to work with, often growing with a twist and with a grain that's liable to tear out. Maybe it was just this tree!

Still, the overall effects are really pleasing, I think, and it works well with the grey hemp seat.

If anyone's interested in the exhibition, I'll be demo-ing there on Saturday 9 June. Hope to see you there...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such useful information. The information provided here is very nice and this information is not available so easily. Therefore I thank the writer for share this useful input. I Love To Read Your Blog and it was Really Helpful for me and it gives good details. Conference Chairs India , Leather office chairs .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good and interesting blog with very good look and perfect information ... I like it.Princess Car Beds

    ReplyDelete